- Continuing or remaining in a place or state.
- usage: "they had a nice stay in Paris"; "a lengthy hospital stay"; "a four-month stay in bankruptcy court"
- The state of inactivity following an interruption.
- usage: "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- A judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted.
- usage: "the Supreme Court has the power to stay an injunction pending an appeal to the whole Court"
- A thin strip of metal or bone that is used to stiffen a garment (e. G. A corset. )
- Nautical) brace consisting of a heavy rope or wire cable used as a support for a mast or spar. (
- Stay the same; remain in a certain state.
- usage: "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "rest assured"; "stay alone"; "He remained unmoved by her tears"; "The bad weather continued for another week"
- Stay put (in a certain place. )
- usage: "We are staying in Detroit; we are not moving to Cincinnati"; "Stay put in the corner here"; "Stick around and you will learn something"
- usage: "You can stay with me while you are in town"; "stay a bit longer-the day is still young"
- Continue in a place, position, or situation.
- usage: "After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"; "Stay with me, please"; "despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"; "She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
- Remain behind.
- usage: "I had to stay at home and watch the children"
- Stop or halt.
- usage: "Please stay the bloodshed"
- Stay behind.
- usage: "The smell stayed in the room"; "The hostility remained long after they made up"
- Hang on during a trial of endurance.
- usage: "ride out the storm"
- Stop a judicial process.
- usage: "The judge stayed the execution order"
- Fasten with stays.
- Overcome or allay.
- usage: "quell my hunger"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). stay. Retrieved February 16, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/stay/definitions/1193244|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "stay" http://smartdefine.org/stay/definitions/1193244 (accessed February 16, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, stay, Smart Define, viewed 16 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/stay/definitions/1193244>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "stay" 23 October 2010. Web. 16 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/stay/definitions/1193244>|