- Something left after other parts have been taken away.
- usage: "there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
- Freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility. )
- usage: "took his repose by the swimming pool"
- A pause for relaxation.
- usage: "people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
- A state of inaction.
- usage: "a body will continue in a state of rest until acted upon"
- Euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb. )
- usage: "she was laid to rest beside her husband"; "they had to put their family pet to sleep"
- A support on which things can be put.
- usage: "the gun was steadied on a special rest"
- A musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration.
- Not move; be in a resting position.
- Take a short break from one's activities in order to relax.
- Give a rest to.
- usage: "He rested his bad leg"; "Rest the dogs for a moment"
- Have a place in relation to something else.
- usage: "The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"; "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
- synonyms: lie
- Be at rest.
- Stay the same; remain in a certain state.
- usage: "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "rest assured"; "stay alone"; "He remained unmoved by her tears"; "The bad weather continued for another week"
- Be inherent or innate in;.
- Put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying.
- usage: "Rest your head on my shoulder"
- Sit, as on a branch.
- usage: "The birds perched high in the tree"
- Rest on or as if on a pillow.
- usage: "pillow your head"
- synonyms: pillow
- Be inactive, refrain from acting.
- usage: "The committee is resting over the summer"
WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
|APA||WordNet. (2010). rest. Retrieved March 26, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/1322122|
|Chicago||WordNet. 2010. "rest" http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/1322122 (accessed March 26, 2019).|
|Harvard||WordNet 2010, rest, Smart Define, viewed 26 March, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/1322122>.|
|MLA||WordNet. "rest" 23 October 2010. Web. 26 March 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/1322122>|