- (n.) A state of quiet or repose; a cessation from motion or labor; tranquillity; as, rest from mental exertion; rest of body or mind.
- (n.) To stand firm; to be fixed; to be supported; as, a column rests on its pedestal.
- (n.) To cease from action or motion, especially from action which has caused weariness; to desist from labor or exertion.
- (n.) Sleep; slumber; hence, poetically, death.
- (n.) That which is left or which remains after the separation of a part, either in fact or in contemplation; remainder; residue.
- (v.t.) To arrest.
- (n.) To be free from whanever wearies or disturbs; to be quiet or still.
- (n.) That on which anything rests or leans for support; as, a rest in a lathe, for supporting the cutting tool or steadying the work.
- (n.) A surplus held as a reserved fund by a bank to equalize its dividends, etc.; in the Bank of England, the balance of assets above liabilities.
- (n.) A projection from the right side of the cuirass, serving to support the lance.
- (n.) A place where one may rest, either temporarily, as in an inn or permanently, as, in an abode.
- (n.) To sleep; to slumber; hence, poetically, to be dead.
- (n.) Hence, freedom from everything which wearies or disturbs; peace; security.
- (n.) To lean in confidence; to trust; to rely; to repose without anxiety; as, to rest on a man's promise.
- (n.) The striking of a balance at regular intervals in a running account.
- (n.) A set or game at tennis.
- (n.) Those not included in a proposition or description; the remainder; others.
- (v.t.) To lay or place at rest; to quiet.
- (n.) To lie; to repose; to recline; to lan; as, to rest on a couch.
- (n.) Silence in music or in one of its parts; the name of the character that stands for such silence. They are named as notes are, whole, half, quarter,etc.
- (v.i.) To be left; to remain; to continue to be.
- (v.t.) To place, as on a support; to cause to lean.
- (n.) A short pause in reading verse; a c/sura.
- (n.) To be satisfied; to acquiesce.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
|APA||Webster's. (2011). rest. Retrieved February 17, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/2055132|
|Chicago||Webster's. 2011. "rest" http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/2055132 (accessed February 17, 2019).|
|Harvard||Webster's 2011, rest, Smart Define, viewed 17 February, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/2055132>.|
|MLA||Webster's. "rest" 27 May 2011. Web. 17 February 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/rest/definitions/2055132>|