- (v.i.) To let the tones (as of a discord) follow their several tendencies, resulting in a concord.
- (v.i.) To be separated into its component parts or distinct principles; to undergo resolution.
- (v.i.) To change or convert by resolution or formal vote; -- used only reflexively; as, the house resolved itself into a committee of the whole.
- (v.i.) To melt; to dissolve; to become fluid.
- (v.i.) To form a purpose; to make a decision; especially, to determine after reflection; as, to resolve on a better course of life.
- (v.i.) To dispere or scatter; to discuss, as an inflammation or a tumor.
- (v.i.) To be settled in opinion; to be convinced.
- (v.i.) To reduce to simple or intelligible notions; -- said of complex ideas or obscure questions; to make clear or certain; to free from doubt; to disentangle; to unravel; to explain; hence, to clear up or dispel, as doubt; as, to resolve a riddle.
- (v.i.) To cause to perceive or understand; to acquaint; to inform; to convince; to assure; to make certain.
- (n.) That which has been resolved on or determined; decisive conclusion; fixed purpose; determination; also, legal or official determination; a legislative declaration; a resolution.
- (v.i.) To determine or decide in purpose; to make ready in mind; to fix; to settle; as, he was resolved by an unexpected event.
- (v.i.) To solve, as a problem, by enumerating the several things to be done, in order to obtain what is required; to find the answer to or the result of.
- (v.i.) To express, as an opinion or determination, by resolution and vote; to declare or decide by a formal vote; -- followed by a clause; as, the house resolved (or, it was resolved by the house) that no money should be apropriated (or, to appropriate no money).
- (n.) The act of resolving or making clear; resolution; solution.
- (v.i.) To relax; to lay at ease.
- (v.i.) To separate the component parts of; to reduce to the constituent elements; -- said of compound substances; hence, sometimes, to melt or dissolve.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
|APA||Webster's. (2011). resolve. Retrieved April 22, 2019, from http://smartdefine.org/resolve/definitions/2055048|
|Chicago||Webster's. 2011. "resolve" http://smartdefine.org/resolve/definitions/2055048 (accessed April 22, 2019).|
|Harvard||Webster's 2011, resolve, Smart Define, viewed 22 April, 2019, <http://smartdefine.org/resolve/definitions/2055048>.|
|MLA||Webster's. "resolve" 27 May 2011. Web. 22 April 2019. <http://smartdefine.org/resolve/definitions/2055048>|